The biodiesel industry has faced uncertain times since 2008, with government mandates and subsidies being unpredictable at times. Some biodiesel plants have gone idle or out of business permanently because of this instability, but North Carolina remains a strong state for renewable energy.
There are five active biodiesel plants in North Carolina:
- Triangle Biofuels Industries – Wilson, NC
- Blue Ridge Biofuels – Asheville, NC
- Patriot Biodiesel – Greensboro, NC
- Foothills Bio-Energies – Lenoir, NC
- Piedmont Biofuels – Pittsboro, NC